I have a grand plan of building a darkroom in the attic of my new home. But after two weeks of building works and our bathroom nowhere near finished it’s clear that my permanent darkroom project will be put on hold while other home improvements take precedence.
But there are still options – rooms that can be made light-tight for a fraction of the cost.
And interesting option is white blackout blinds, yes you read that correctly, white blackouts. I know, but apparently it works and would look a lot better in a bathroom that will be returned to its primary use when the printing session ends. I’ve worked out that with some crafty shopping on ebay, I could get my
bathroom darkroom light-free for around 20 quid.
The issue of air is going to be more cost intensive. Light-tight equals air tight, more or less so good ventilation is vital. And today I’ve discovered that the extractor fan doesn’t vent to the outside. No, its spews out steamy bathroom air to the gap between ceiling and floorboards, and over the course of a printing session that would mean chemical laden air recirculating back into the room. So back to the drawing board.
I have discovered some nifty darkroom solutions, from revolving light-proof doors to blow up darkroom tents. But for now I’m going to have to make do with some light-proof cotton twill and an open window.